Commentators need to step up their game

Even though I don't really consider myself a game commentator, everyone else does.  It isn't something that I flocked to for fun but simply as a way to get a little extra money to pay for a new TV, and then a new laptop, and now a wedding.  It started off pretty mundane and uninteresting, but the more did commentary the more I liked it.  The audience seemed to agree too.  With around ten of them under my belt I'm still very new at this but I see a lot of flaws with a lot of other commentators videos.

So many of them don't know how to edit anything.  I see that the video and audio commentary are not synced at all.  The commentator will be discussing a pertinent event ten seconds after it happens or even worse, ten seconds before.  I see games with no color correction added, no editing done (not even trimming off the beginning and end), and no sound balance.  It's as if they hit record on PVR, record game, hit stop, record audio, drop it in the tracks, and call it a job well done.  I've even heard this lot complain about "a lot of editing" when more than two tracks are required.  From the standpoint of a machinimator, this is child's play.  The gap in the viewing market left by sloppy editing and simply recording gameplay became evident to me after the response to this video:


The response on my page and the EF page from this video was HUGE.  Biggest release I've had yet.  Put in proportion to it's total amount of viewers, it really struck a cord with about 1/5 of the entire audience.  I received so many man messages about how nobody had seen anything like it before and was quite shocked.  To be honest, it wasn't really that well made or edited.  It took about 3-4 hours to film and edit with most of the edits being done the laziest way possible.  However, when I looked around, I really couldn't find anything like it.  Nobody seemed to be doing any more than recording straight from the first person perspective.

Is that all there is out there?  Are there no more cinematic or unusual commentary styles?  Surely there has to be more to this popular sub-genre of video than a gameplay with a dude talking to you.  It baffles me, it really does.

0 comments:

Post a Comment